Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Paint improves everything

I'll be the first to admit. I'm a sucker for painted furniture- especially if it's vintage/antique and the paint's had some time to age and get interesting- though I also love a new coat of paint on a boring dark wood vintage piece. Painting is usually the quickest and easiest way to transform a piece of furniture, and add interest to a space. When I started refurbishing furniture, it was the first project I attacked. Here are some hints I've learned over the years:
- Use good paint. The cheap stuff will scuff and peel quickly.
- If you're painting a high traffic item (kitchen cabinets etc), use a high gloss paint. It's easier to clean and will wear better
- Be brave and creative. I love a white piece of furniture as much as the next girl, but why not add a little color if you're going to all the trouble of painting the item!
- Just like in a room, that color on your color chip is going to be bolder and brighter when you have the piece fully painted- consider that when selecting color
- Benjamin Moore sells color samples (half quart) in their full paint color selection. That little can is enough to put three coats on a chest of draws or paint two chairs. The perfect size!
- If you're painting an item with a smooth surface- sand it a bit with 220 grit sandpaper so the paint will adhere better
- Primer is for sissies. I've never used it, never will. waste of time in my opinion
- Remove the hardware and store it well away from your painting location before you even open that can of paint. (I once ruined a great set of victorian drawer pulls when I accidentally splattered paint on them where I'd placed them next to the chest. Whoops!)
- Tie your hair back, or it will look like mine, perpetually painted.
Enjoy! Here's a couple of my recent painted furniture projects, and some others I like.

Here's that fabulous victorian bureau that I painted my favorite lime green.

Just a little vintage maple side table I picked up at the flea market. Fresh coat of antique white and it's good to go. This one's for sale on Craigslist right now. $30.

Don't mind my cat Toni- she's a diva and loves to photo bomb my craigslist shoots. This is a pair of vintage chairs and a hutch that I painted a beautiful dove gray. Also on craigslist - $55 for the set.

I liked this pumpkin spice colored dresser so well I held it over from my Autumn decor- It adds a real punch to the front porch!

Rainbow colored chairs make this dining space beyond fun

The dove gray hutch and chair in the back create such a cool and welcoming space

Don't forget you can always paint the frames on mirrors too! Look how well this demi lune table and funky mirror compliment each other.

Go bold or go home. I love this intense saturated color on the otherwise simple secretary. Painting a piece of furniture is a great way to experiment with color. 

A classic scroll foot pier table gets lightened up with a nice coat of white paint. Gorgeous

soft tiffany blue paint dresses up an otherwise severe chest.  Now it's so pretty you could put it in your front hall rather than hiding it away in a bedroom!


You gotta love that bright yellow sideboard smiling at you from across the room. 



No comments:

Post a Comment