Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Sideboard Before and After

I picked up this sideboard last fall at a tag sale in Colchester. I loved the lines of the piece- literally, the incised lines that run across the drawer fronts. They add a really modern element to the sideboard. It's solid chestnut c.1870. Originally, it had a soapstone top, and when I used it as my sideboard I used that top. The top was quite stained though, and I wanted to switch the sideboard for a different piece, so I moved it down to my workshop. Being that it's such a stunner, it caught the eye of a client almost immediately, and got a full face lift before going off to its new home yesterday evening. I painted the piece Benjamin Moore's Ocean Air, which is just the softest most delicate shade of blue. I added antique barn boards to the top- sanded, and stained with Minwax's pickled oak to bring out the wood grain, and compliment the light blue. I changed the drawer pulls for ceramic ones (don't they look antique!) and then gave the entire case a coat of wax, buffed, to make the color glow. Pretty cute, right?
Before and After shots below ~
In my spring decor 2012. Painted my favorite light green. I didn't take a 'before' pic when I first got it, but it was originally a dark dark wood stain.


Another 'before' pic. These drawers pulls are antique, but don't make sense with the piece. They're teeny tiny and make it really hard to grip the drawers to open them.
With the light blue paint, new barn board top, and the ceramic drawer pulls.
I think it turned out so sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment