Thursday, December 5, 2013

Antique Quilts

Sometimes when I get an obsession is comes out of left field and hits hard. This is the case with my current love affair with antique quilts. I've always liked them, and have a couple of nice examples, but all of a sudden a few days ago I realized I really really want to collect them, in a big way. First, they're very useful- you never know when you'll need an extra blanket. Secondly, they're gorgeous and each one is unique. Finally, how can you deny the amazing craftsmanship and hours upon hours of labor that each one took to make. They're one of the most overlooked areas of folk art. Let's look at some pretty ones now!
I'm currently crushing on this one on ebay

A cozy little entryway with antique blue and white quilts here

I absolutely love this bright stack of beautiful quilts casually leaning on a cheerful floral armchair

An outstanding example with all the bells and whistles!

Antique stoneware bowls, brightly painted cupboards, and antique quilts- A country dream come true!

A spectacular example in greens, and oranges. Look at all that quilting!

This little vignette is pretty as can be, but be cautious of displaying your antique textiles near windows. You'd be surprised how fast a little sun can steal away their color forever.

A stunning staircase displays an impressive collection of quilts, blue apothecary bottles, and decoys.
Utterly charming!

This welcoming room, rendered in multiple shades of faded pastel is made all the more lovely with the hanging quilt display on the wall!


I would love to display antique quilts on my upstairs bannister except that 1. we still don't have an upstairs bannister, and 2. my cats would consider is a personal invitation to rip them to shreds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment