Friday, December 20, 2013

What to Do With a Dry Sink

I've just finished a custom dry sink, and I thought it would be fun to show some of the cool ways you can use this highly adaptable piece. I hope to someday have one in my dining room- once my dining room is located in real room, and pile it high with antique ironstone and blue green glasses. The dry sink has been used in American since the late 18th century for a variety of purposes. Primarily the piece works as a great server. It's a fantastic place with display breakable or fragile things because the lip that runs around the edge prevents tipping and adds further protection. It's also great as a bar, buffet, or console when entertaining. Pile it high with sweets on tiered plates, or use it as the place you put the utensils and plates. When not in use for entertaining, you can show off a collection, be it books, stacked plates, bottles, bowls, figurines, or potted plants.
Here are some pretty examples~
Simple and rustic, with a beautiful urn of fruit and a tremendous trade sign above it. 

A lovely holiday display fills the space in this dry sink

One of my favorites- used as a potting shelf and looking fresh and springy with terra-cotta pots and bell jars.

This dry sink has been carried outside to be used as a serving station for a party. How adorable!

This handsome dry sink displays a couple favorite collectibles and looks fabulous with a piece of art hanging over it.

A modern spin on the dry sink, with a potted plant, a lantern, and some pretty stacked plates. 

Dry sinks are the perfect place to show off flower arrangements like this. 

Another of my favorites, this piece has been all kitted out as an awesome bar. 

A lovely little dry sink shows off a nice collection of antique china here. 

This dry sink spills over with vases and flowers. 

A whole group of interesting objects make this dry sink into a hands on curio cabinet

All set for a party with drink dispenser, bottles, and a superb galvanized bucket with bottled drinks.

And finally, a gorgeous rustic dry sink shows off an enviable collection of ironstone here. 

2 comments:

  1. ooohh I love them all! but truly the painted ones (especially the 3rd pic) are my favorites. I could kick myself last year had a chance to buy a big one all brown 1970ish pine for 25.00. Bad, bad me! Thanks for endless ideas. Merry Christmas (I love your blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/19/2017

    Ahh, put crap in it! I would have never thought of that. :)

    ReplyDelete