Sunday, March 2, 2014

A Simple but Sophisticated Dining Set

This is a classic vintage Pennsylvania House dining set from the 1960s. It's solid rock maple, built to last. I picked it up a few weeks ago and it's taken me forever and a day to finish because I had to wait for good sanding weather. When I finally sanded off the old orange-y opaque finish I was so impressed with the beauty of the maple wood grain that I decided I wanted to re-do the table top in a way that really showed it off. I used a pickled oak stain, then three coats of poly, then a hand rubbed wax surface. The top is pure and honest and so pretty.  I painted the four brace back Windsor chairs and the table base in a black gloss. This is one of those sets that could fit with just about any style!

I've been good all day today- worked on furniture, went to the gym, cleaned the house, laid some floors in the guest house, and now I'm going to pour myself a glass of champagne and watch all the fashion fun on the Oscars red carpet. I look forward to it all year!!













No comments:

Post a Comment