Monday, June 9, 2014

Flea Market Finds and New Acquisitions

When I headed out to the flea market yesterday morning I knew I needed to practice some serious restraint. My workshop is packed to rafters with furniture at the moment, so this mission was mostly to window shop, and maybe grab a few small objects. In the end I didn't buy any furniture, but I did hit the jackpot with a breathtaking early 20th century appliqué quilt. It's easily one of my favorite things I own. It's all hand sewn, from the quilting to the scallop border, but the real showstopper, that sets this quilt apart from so many, is the top shelf appliqué work. It's outstanding, the best I've ever seen. The quilt is in perfect condition. And guess what- it was $25. I know! I couldn't get my money out fast enough!! It's now on my guest room bed.

I also picked up a pretty piece of stone wear, a nice set of decorative coffee mugs, and a little antique bib for my mom. Also pictured is the incredible 19th century counter that I picked up last Thursday...and now it's in my kitchen all refinished! It was kind of gloomy this morning so I only took a quick snap of it. As soon as the sun comes out I'll do a full photo shoot and show you the little changes I made around the kitchen, as well as the new island in its full glory!

I loved all the colors on these pretty vintage mugs.

I really like the ovoid shape of this crock. It was only $5!


Early 19th century hand sewn and quilted bib. 

so sweet!

And my new quilt!!


so so so pretty!

I mean, look at that craftsmanship! 

Here's the before on the antique counter. All original hardware, ugly as sin when I picked it up off craigslist. 

quite a bit better with new paint, new base molding, and a new solid pine top!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm totally impressed with how this antique counter looks in your kitchen...so nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6/10/2014

    Fabulous finds! Where is this Flea Market!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you sure have a way of making ugly furniture look beautiful again. Wish I had your talents.

    ReplyDelete