Monday, June 16, 2014

The Antique Kitchen Island Cupboard

I've been looking for an antique counter for as long as I've been living in this house- which is ever so slightly more than five years. They're rare, and they're expensive, but it's been at the top of my wish list for so long, I'd just about given up hope. Then lightening struck. Two weeks ago I drove over to Newington and picked up the most wonderful fabulous perfect piece of furniture for my kitchen, a giant antique counter. It had seen better days, the original top had been covered with asphalt like linoleum, the paint was chipping everywhere, and someone had lined the counter top edge with metal stripping.

First I flipped the counter over (which wasn't easy, it's the heaviest piece of furniture I've ever worked on, and that's saying a lot). I worked on the structure of the underside, and created a framework that elevated the counter from 32 inches to 34 inches- making it better to sit at. I hid this new structure with elaborate base molding, which also dressed the piece up a bit. I then flipped the counter back over, removed all the awfulness glued and nailed to the top, and added a chunky pine board top. The top was then sanded, stained English Chestnut, and sealed. Finally, I painted the counter in a custom mixed color that's an earthy but light shade of spring green. Since I mixed the color myself, I felt entitled to name it- Shire Green. The brass drawer pulls are original to the piece and one of my favorite aspects. I left them exactly as is, with a fabulous warm patina. 

Before and afters below. What do you think?














12 comments:

  1. Sooo beautiful! it looks like it has been there forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! This is one of the BEST makeovers I've ever seen (and believe me, I've seen many!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks just beautiful! The perfect piece for your kitchen and I love the color :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful...amazing makeover...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6/17/2014

    Absolutely perfect! You've outdone yourself with this one - from the amazing transformation to the location in your kitchen - just wonderful.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing as if it was part of the house, great work love this refinished project

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6/19/2014

    Wow. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful piece! You did such a great job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6/20/2014

    Perfection !!!!!!!
    Everything about this is amazing from the color to the wonderful original brass pulls.
    So glad you shared this with us.
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6/20/2014

    Gorgeous addition to your kitchen! love the buttery color as well as the original hardware. Really nice job. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6/20/2014

    Absolutely gorgeous!!! It always amazes me how some are able to see the potential where others see junk. You did a fantastic job and your hard work shows! Thanks for the inspiration:-)

    ReplyDelete