Thursday, July 24, 2014

Top Picks: Northeast Auction Americana Sale

Northeast Auctions has a great sale coming up the first weekend in August. There were lots and lots of marvelous things in the catalog to spark inspiration ...and drool over. You can view the entire catalog here . I spent a couple delightful hours combing through it, and have picked out my favorite objects to share with you.
I've decided I really want to start collecting earthenware pottery.
The deep green glaze on this piece of stoneware is so stunning. 

All the storage you could ever want, in the most spectacular rustic form. I'd put these both in the same kitchen, the small one on a counter, the big one against the wall. 

Just imagine this beautiful wide mouth bottle spilling over with freshly picked tulips. 

These amethyst hurricanes are so subtle yet glamorous that they have a very modern feel. You could put them on a mantel and do a whole jewel toned theme. 

Breathtaking painted furniture like this settee was produced in several shops in downtown Portsmouth at the very start of the 19th century. 

This portrait of a little boy in green by folk artist Joseph Whiting Stock is incredibly charming. Stock is best known for his whimsical portraits of children, often posed on the colorful ingrain carpets that were popular in the first quarter of the 19th century. 

These are amazing. AMAZING. I want these. WANT THEM!!!

The apple green color of this blanket chest is show stopping. I'm picturing it bedecked with a mound of colorful gourds and pumpkins for fall. 

This is why I love antiques. Look at those  hands pointing at the spirits bottle  and glasses on this antique game board. I mean really, that's hilarious. 

A moody impressionist painting that reminds me so much a this little lake we used to visit in North Central CT.

This group of 20th century art pottery is practically glowing in warm hues of green.
The large vase on the left is my favorite.

Ah, you know I'm such a sucker for antique trade signs. Lately I've been thinking of just collecting the black with gold lettering ones, so my collection can feel cohesive.
This is a very fine example, late 19th century, with very nice lettering.

I've been wishing for a few of these lovely hanging lamps for quite sometime. My indoor porch has very high ceilings, and I think a cluster of them would be so dramatic. 

The perfect sign for anyone ever with a summer home by the shore.

A wonderful trompe l'oeil fire board in the form of a fireplace. A fire board is also on my wish list.

Another cheeky trade sign with funky lettering. 

I bet this will be my mom's favorite thing in the sale. It's a schoolgirl  watercolor on silk scene of a lover's tryst. She's looking demure and dainty and he looks wicked chuffed. 

And finally this fabulous antique cupboard. I find one of the best places to get inspiration for new furniture colors is  these tremendous 19th century folk pieces. This cupboard is such a wonderful shade of mustard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment