Saturday, November 15, 2014

Empire Elegance

I love a big bold piece of Empire furniture. There's something so gutsy yet refined about that period of American furniture design. About a month ago I purchased two gigantic Empire mahogany chests. Both probably date to about 1860-1880. I started this one first simply because it was already in my workshop, while the other is in my basement storage space. I've honestly never seen a better pair of feet than on this tall chest. I wanted to keep the surface fairly straight forward to really allow the structure and form to take center stage. I custom mixed a rich French blue chalk paint, liberally distressed the entire thing, and then finished it with a dark wax.

*Before*


*After*








1 comment:

  1. Kate, this is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's bash. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/11/make-it-pretty-monday-week-121.html Hope to see your prettiness again at the party. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete