Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Go Vintage and Gift Better

Now, to be fair, I'm insanely biased here. As I look around my house I have serious difficulty spotting anything that I purchased new. You don't have to go to my extreme (but you should!!). I do think a vintage or antique gift can be so much more unique and heartfelt than "Oy, I bought this at Old Navy. It's a sweater- you wear sweaters, right??".

           Here's bunch of gifting ideas with links to the items. I used only Etsy and Ebay but there's a ton of great websites to score vintage goods now, and don't forget to buy local- every single one of us has an incredible vintage or antique shop somewhere around the corner.

Helpful Hints-

Try to make the gift personal- what hobbies does your gifting target enjoy? What's their favorite color? What's the style of their home? Is there anything they hate? Don't buy them things they hate. Or things they're allergic to, that's a bad idea.
And I don't claim to be the queen of this. I'm sure some of you have gotten gifts from me and thought, "Really? What the hell, Kate?!". Sorry about that...

Finally, if you haven't gotten me a gift yet, these are all excellent ideas, so, just mull that over...

Excellent Idea #1: Bookends 

Who doesn't own at least three books. I feel this is the bare minimum one needs to necessitate bookends. A single book, held up by bookends on either side, well that's just a bit silly.

For the musician or music lover in your life.  Also fabulous for holding up CD cases.
Though I'm not sure any of us still have CDs at this point.
Etsy Link

My particular favorite. These are just stunning. I wouldn't even clutter them with books. I'd put these on my mantel!
Etsy Link

For your patriot or bird lover. These Eagle bookends are hilarious, I'm not sure it's intentional, but they make me chuckle.
Etsy Link

 Excellent Idea #2: Vintage Prints and Lithographs

You would not believe how cheap some of these are- like $1. You can buy it, frame and mat it, ship it, and still be under $25 for an amazing personalized antique gift. There's prints out there for everything- mostly because Victorians were super interested in their world but didn't have google, which is sad when you think about it. So they'd just make amazing drawings of plants, animals, buildings, food, people they liked or hated, naughty stuff and funny stuff. Here's the link to the ebay search I like to use. 

For the architecture enthusiast or home renovator. A set of three different buildings would be beautiful. Or- find one of a building in the same period as their home.
Ebay link 

For the gardener, or person who loves flowers (hint hint- probably your mom would love this).

Ebay Link

For that guy who will not shut up about shark week.
Ebay Link

This one's for everyone. This print is just devastatingly funny. Look at that demon fox, stealing the poor monk's dinner. OMG I could die.
Ebay Link
 Excellent Idea #3 - Vintage Jewelry
Each piece is different and unique and funky and fun. There's a million different choices!

I can absolutely guarantee that Macy's is not currently selling a duck/knife pendent. Perhaps for your avid whittler, or outdoorsman/woman who likes to get all dolled up pre-adventure. I'd wear it just because it's fabulous.
Etsy Link

I wouldn't wear these earrings and necklace together unless I was drunk, and taking selfies...So I would wear these together on Wednesdays and Saturdays. But separately, so chic and playful.
Etsy Link 

This one's on sale! Are we still wearing brooches? I have so many brooches I want to wear.
Etsy Link

Excellent Idea #4: Serveware, Glassware, and Barware

No one cooks less than yours truly. I'm a horror in the kitchen, and yet I still want lots and lots of serving pieces, drink glasses, trays and the like. Why? Because someday I will host the most fabulous dinner party and you'll all be like "Damn, Kate's got it together". And if I, who never cooks on purpose, wants this stuff, all those weirdos who like to cook and entertain will surely want it.

This antique platter is so pretty and sophisticated, you could serve crunchy cheetos on it,
 and still put Martha Stewart to shame.
Etsy Link

I might need these. Polkadot vintage bar glasses. This is the kind of thing you sip bourbon from, while lounging on your velvet settee at two in the afternoon, on a Wednesday...whilst taking drunk selfies, and wearing too much costume jewelry.

Etsy Link

 I'm not precisely sure what a crumpet is, but I'm sure it would look divine served on this charming tiered stand.
And in teal, I know you all love teal with a shocking ferocity.
Etsy Link

 Excellent Idea #5: Vintage Leather goods.

I've already gifted my two little sisters from this category for Christmas. I bet they're using their vintage leather satchels as we speak, looking all classy and academic. Leather gets better with age, all soft and supple. I've got a wee addiction to vintage leather bags, an entire cupboard full of it, actually. But it's just so effortlessly fun in that old school New England way that's the final word in flawless style. I'm sure a zombie Kate Hepburn would carry a glorious vintage leather bag.

An awesome vintage leather wallet with all the geometric goodness the 80s could give it.
Etsy Link

Remember in the 40s when a gal would sweep into a room, and remove her hat, her gloves, her jacket. It was like some fabulous performance art, a real entrance. Now we just schlep into the house and kick of our ugg boots. I love how these have contrasting turn downs too. So sexy.
Etsy Link

And of course a vintage leather bag in the most delicious shade of caramel.
An absolute essential for every complete adult wardrobe.

Etsy Link



No comments:

Post a Comment