Wednesday, November 4, 2015

A Vintage Maple Sideboard in Red

I picked up this stunning vintage solid maple sideboard from one of my favorite antiques shops on Sunday morning. I had planned to go to the Elephant's Trunk flea market with my best friend but it started to rain on the way there and so we made a u-turn and headed to Niantic instead. It was a lovely morning regardless of being a 'plan-b'. We visited the book barn where I bought stacks of wonderful books on interior design and antiques, and then we hit up Past To Present Collectibles, across the street and I scored this sideboard and another darling antique dresser that I'll show you in the next post.
            I loved this piece so much that I got to work on it straight away. I sanded the boring opaque varnish off the top, stained and sealed it in a rich honey color, and then painted the case in multiple layers of varying shades of red. After the final coat I lightly sanded to let the other reds peek through for a nice rich finish. I distressed the case and then sealed with dark wax. I swapped the ugly vintage Chippendale drawer pulls out for simple turned wood knobs. Finally I painted the interior in a crisp custom mixed pale celery.









No comments:

Post a Comment