Monday, December 14, 2015

An Antique Mahogany Bookcase in Deep Purple

This is such a wonderfully unique piece of furniture. I spotted it on craigslist a few weeks ago and decided straight away that I wanted it. Luckily it was only a couple towns away, so my bestie Jess and I took a lovely drive through the Connecticut countryside to pick it up one sunny morning. It was just as good in person as in the pictures and I couldn't wait to get started on it!

          I had a client approach me to refinish the bookcase custom to match an antique dresser I did for them almost exactly a year ago. Their vision for the piece was spot on and I set to work. I sanded, stained, and sealed the flame mahogany drawer fronts that had become faded and tired over the years, and painted the case in the deepest purple that leans heavily towards eggplant- I love love love this color- so unexpected and sophisticated!

          We settled on a warm taupe for the interior to balance the eggplant of the exterior, and I sanded the teensy little inter drawers to match the exterior ones. I didn't distress the piece, but did seal it with dark wax.










And here's the antique dresser that we matched


3 comments:

  1. So cool, we loved seeing what you did with our desk. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the color and what an insanely cool piece that is with the desk hidden in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a stunning combination of colors. Love it!

    ReplyDelete