Tuesday, December 15, 2015

An Antique Oak Server Turned Kitchen Island

This was a fun custom project I just finished up for a client. We searched for several months to find just the right piece of furniture to turn into a kitchen island and I finally spotted this antique oak server about three weeks ago. It's got everything one could want for an island, a nice size, a beautifully paneled back that lent itself to being finished on all four sides, and both drawers and a lower cupboard section!
        The client selected Benjamin Moore's Ashley Gray for the exterior and Gray Mirage for the interior. I added a larger pine top since the oak top was damaged and water stained. I braced the back to make the piece more stable (it had developed a twist over a hundred and some odd years). I also swapped out the drawer pulls for bail brass ones.








1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! What a wonderful piece. I'd like to see your picture during your renovations......you look like a model on that staircase not a furniture restorer!

    ReplyDelete