Friday, February 12, 2016

An Antique Dresser Turned Kitchen Island

The theme today is the many ways a simple antique dresser can be reinvented for the modern home. On the last post I shared a piece where I removed the bottom two drawers to turn the dresser into a media console. On this lovely little late 19th century dresser I kept the drawers but added a larger top with rear overhang so it can be used as a kitchen island.

      This sweet little kitchen island was custom for a very patient client who needed a dresser that fit some pretty specific dimensions for her kitchen. She waited months for me to find just the right piece, but I'm so glad she hung in there (and I hope she is too!). I found this antique dresser at the Collinsville antiques market a couple weeks ago and knew instantly that it would be perfect. I removed the crazy vintage drawer pulls that someone had added, and swapped them for simple turned knobs stained to match the top. We used Benjamin Moore's Hawthorne yellow, mixed into a chalk paint for the case, I lightly distressed the piece and then sealed it with dark wax for a smooth, ultra durable and fully washable surface. I added a pine board top to allow for a large overhang on the rear to accommodate barstools.










No comments:

Post a Comment