Monday, February 1, 2016

An Antique Mahogany Chest in White

This is a wonderfully unique piece. I got it a couple weeks ago and set to work on it right away. It's got several especially fabulous details including the cast brass pulls and escutcheon plates, which are the best I've ever seen, and the beaded molding that runs along the top and sides. It's beautifully built and the drawers work so nicely. It's the shape and size of a blanket chest but has three long drawers rather than a lift top. I think it would be just perfect at the foot of a bed, or under the eaves in a cottage bedroom. as additional storage.
        I sanded, stained, and sealed the glorious mahogany top, and painted the case in a soft antique white, distressed and dark waxed. I kept the original pulls, because, my goodness they're so SO spectacular, and I brightened them up just a touch with athenian gold rub n buff.










2 comments:

  1. Love how you refinish the tops of many of your pieces and then paint the rest. The pulls are to die for! What a lucky find! Beautiful! Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you refinish the wood on top of many pieces and then paint the rest. Those pulls are to die for! what a lucky find. Lovely piece! Sheila

    ReplyDelete