Monday, June 6, 2016

An Antique Desk in Cream

Isn't this desk adorable? So cute! I've never seen one quite like it, so much detail, and you've got to know, all the cyma curves were not easy for the original cabinet maker to create! The piece likely dates to the 1940s, it's solid maple, and has the original wrought iron drawer pulls. I loved it as soon as I laid eyes on it at a church tagsale this past Saturday.
          To lighten the desk up a bit I painted it in a fresh, antique white with just a few of the curvier bits highlighted in dark blue, distressed and sealed with dark wax. I sanded the old chipped and scratched varnish off the top and stained it in a darker shade, to make the exceptional woodgrain pop. I sealed it with high gloss oil based poly for an impervious and mirror perfect finish. I kept the original hardware because I love how the chunky dimensions play off the delicate scrolled lines of the piece.







No comments:

Post a Comment