Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Gilt-y Pleasure

Oh it's so fun to go a bit over the top sometimes. I personally like fairly reserved, subdued furniture forms; farm tables, antique oak dressers with lots of straight lines, a big chunky hutch. This sweet vintage French Provincial desk is the polar opposite of all those things. It's charming and cheeky and curvy in every possible place. And I JUST LOVE IT.
        I refinished this piece custom for a client to go in her daughter's room. We went with Benjamin Moore's Rose Rococo for the case, and loads of gold detailing to amp the "wow" factor up even higher. I kept the original pulls but recolored them to match all the gilding. I had to do a ton of work on the surface, removing most of the damaged veneer from around the feet, and even replacing one foot. But as you can see, this desk is good as gold now. I refinished the veneer top and stained it dark, but painted the lip of the top in gold. I painted the insides of the drawers in a deeper shade of rose for a little pop of color when you open them.








No comments:

Post a Comment