Thursday, December 8, 2016

A Mahogany Desk in Sky Blue

Remember blue sky? We haven't had a blue sky in almost a decade, or at least that's how it feels. It's probably been more like four days, but I'm getting antsy. Specifically, I can't properly photograph in sullen, stubborn cloud cover; Generally, I like the sun, I'm not a cloudy day kind of gal. Cloudy day gals knit their own socks and drink lots of tea. They probably write poetry. Yes I'm casting shade at cloudy day gals, but shade's just what they like, now isn't it?

              Since the sky refuses to be blue, by god this desk WILL BE. The bluest sky blue that is decent. It's a solid mahogany c.1950 desk made by the Huntington Furniture Company. I had to stalk it for more than a month at the ReStore before its price became anywhere near reasonable. (Their prices have been skyrocketing lately, much to my chagrin...that's what I get for giving them so much free advertising). So when the price finally dropped I snatched it up. It needed a fair amount of work, a runner guide had gotten detached, and one of the drawer lips had a pretty sizable nip out of it.

              Luckily I'm a master at repairing both those problems, probably because they're two of the most common issues I encounter on vintage case pieces. Once I had the structure set aright, I painted the case in my custom mixed blue, and sanded, stained, and sealed the glorious mahogany top and replaced the dowdy Chippendale pulls with sleek modern ones for a bit of fun and cheek.







3 comments:

  1. Ahhh... what about Sky Blue Pink? This piece made me think of my Papa's favorite color! Actually, I should hire you to paint a piece of his vintage furniture for me~ give the dresser new life in Sky Blue Pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this desk. It's gorgeous! Any chance it's still available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea! It is indeed available! Just shoot me an email at KateAveryDesign@yahoo.com if you'd like to set up a time to see it in person!

      Delete