Sunday, December 11, 2016

A Vintage Stepback Cupboard in Aqua

Boy oh boy, if this weren't custom for a client, I'd be keeping it. I LOVE this mid 20th century solid maple stepback cupboard. It's so beautifully built, all handmade, and in absolutely flawless condition. I also love what the client chose to do with it- a fresh shade of aqua, antique white backboard, glass knobs, and a lighter clearer shade for the top. Perfection. It's got a bit of a Scandinavian vibe to it too, which feels so right on a bitter cold day with the promise of snow thick in the air.
          To start I refinished the top. I did this step first because I knew I'd be painting all around and directly above that finished top. Where as the old surface would take the paint and hold it, my new glossy smooth top would repel the paint like magic, so any errant drips could just be wiped away with a wet paper towel.
           Once the top was done I set to work on the case. The color is inspired by a coastal hutch I refinished a couple years ago. That hutch is one of the most popular pieces I've ever done, and I've had the color requested a few times since. It truly is a magnificent shade of aqua, bright and playful, but not too over the top, just right for a pop of color in a classic farmhouse space. The backboard is also a custom mixed antique white. I distressed the entire thing and then sealed it with my homemade dark wax.








inspiration hutch

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/12/2016

    Lovely! What a transformation!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you turned a heavy looking piece of furniture into something resembling an antique bucket bench. Looks great and I love seeing the before with the after.

    ReplyDelete