Monday, January 9, 2017

A Vintage Mahogany Dresser in Antique White

Did you watch the Golden Globes last night? I tried to, but only managed to catch the last 30 minutes or so. Why, you ask, did I miss so much of an awards show I'd been looking forward to for weeks? Well, that would be because even though I PAY FOR CABLE I don't have a physical cable hooked up to a physical television set, you know, because I'm not 80, and this isn't 1994. And I, so foolishly, thought that since I PAY FOR CABLE, I'd be able to stream the show on my laptop, which (PSSST-HEY NBC!) is how every adult now watches all media content. Can you tell I'm a wee bitty bit miffed? Mhmm.
         Thankfully an Heir and Space follower from my Facebook page was an angel sent from heaven and sent me a link to a jacked up live stream of the show on youtube. It was shaky, and kept cutting out, but I did get to see my darling Eddie Redmayne present. (Thank you Elizabeth!!)
Because really, if I'd missed that, I would have burned the entire state of Connecticut down-
From my very favorite gossip blog-
Lainey Gossip



In just under two weeks I'll be walking my own red carpet, at the Opening Party of the Winter Antiques Show at the Park Avenue Armory in Manhattan. I've bought a dress, it's got a drapey sort of bodice and a blue and copper sparkly skirt. I'm worried it's too racy, but last night while we were NOT watching the Golden Globes (I have so much shade for NBC right now), I tried it on for two of my best friends and they said no, it didn't make me look hella trampy. So we'll see, I might still chicken out and wear something conservative and boring. Either way I'm dieting and hitting the gym like crazy until next Thursday. I never get to dress up, so I want to bring it HARD!

In other related news, check out this spectacular vintage mahogany serpentine front chest of drawers I just refinished custom for a client. It's from the same furniture set as the yellow china cabinet that I showed you yesterday, but is going off to a separate home. As with the cabinet, it's from September 1948. Structurally it was in gorgeous condition, but it had quite a few nicks and scratches and a few bits of missing veneer on the drawer fronts, so I didn't feel bad at all for painting it. The client opted to keep the original Federal oval brass pulls (great choice!) and we went for a antique white with distressing for the case. I sanded, stained, and sealed the wonderful mahogany drawer fronts and top.








3 comments:

  1. I love the look of the stained top and drawers with the painted case. So beautiful and the detail really shows up. Lovely. I can't wait to hear about your own red carpet event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me think of a turn-of-the-century fellow all dressed up in a tuxedo. Very spiffy!

    ReplyDelete