Wednesday, January 25, 2017

An Art Deco Bedroom Set

Whoops! It's been a whole week since I last posted! I am sorry for that. I've been buried up to my eyeballs in furniture since I got back from the Winter Antiques Show, but now we'll all get to enjoy the fruits of my paint splattered labors.
        First up is this spectacular c.1930 Art Deco walnut and mahogany bedroom set. It was brought to me by a new client who was hoping for a fresh look for the guest room of her new home. The set has descended in her family, so we wanted to be sure to respect the longevity of the pieces, while still giving them an updated look. Luckily, paint is extremely non-invasive when it comes to upgrading furniture, so if in twenty years she decides to bring these beauties back to wood, it'll be no trickier than if we'd left them as is. In fact, that paint will add a protective layer against moisture and wear and tear, shielding the lovely woods underneath. It's a win-win situation!
         The client opted for a soft, hazy blue-green for the paint and we kept the original bakelite and brass drawer pulls. I lightly distressed the painted surfaces and sealed them with wax. There's a matching bed too, but beds are a bastard to photograph and never look nice in the pictures, despite all the trouble!













2 comments:

  1. Lilian1/26/2017

    Lovely. And those pulls... OMG those pulls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. believe it or not, I have that same top piece....only difference is mine has a tri fold round mirror

    was suppose to be from England. got it at an auction where the guy shipped over containers of vintage and antique english items

    ReplyDelete